The student news of Weston High School

Weston Warhorse

Mets Off to a Hot Start

Miles Klotz, Sports Editor

It was an easy choice for the favorite to win Major League Baseball’s National League East Division in 2015 – the Washington Nationals. With the addition of Max Scherzer to an already-loaded rotation, almost everyone predicted the Nationals as clear favorites.

However, there’s been a power shift in the early goings of the season, as the New York Mets find themselves on top of the NL East with a 15-5 record, 4.5 games ahead of the second place Atlanta Braves and eight games ahead of the surprisingly last place Nationals. Sure, a small sample size of 20 games is easy to point to, but this Mets team is looking like a real World Series contender.

Mets' ace Matt Harvey has led an eternally underperforming to a promising start this season

Mets’ ace Matt Harvey has led an eternally underperforming to a promising start this season

The easiest thing to notice is the return of “Gotham”, right-handed starting pitcher Matt Harvey. Harvey missed the entire 2014 season with elbow ligament reconstruction (Tommy John) surgery, but has returned and been a total ace. Opponents are batting just .220 off Harvey, and he has 31 strikeouts in 26 innings. Valuable contributions from the aging Bartolo Colon and reigning Rookie of the Year Jacob DeGrom have also led to the surprising start.

Questions still remain on offense, with injuries already to David Wright and Travis d’Arnaud, but Lucas Duda has finally showcased the potential he always had and Juan Lagares is making better contact. Questions still remain in the bullpen and with depth, but perhaps this Mets team is equipped for a run we didn’t expect.