Weston Warhorse

Spring Sports Update

Andrew Harwood, Section Editor

Playoff season is upon here at Weston High School, and what a better way to celebrate the closing of another great school year then some good old fashioned tournament fun. With lacrosse, baseball, track, and golf being at the center of attention, let’s see what we may have missed in recent days.
The boy’s lacrosse team fell to Newtown 11-7 a few nights ago to be eliminated from SWC play. The 16-3 boys, led by seniors Jason Baisley and Jake Buffardi, as well as juniors Ryan Werner and Daniel Lucas, the Trojans head to state games now, hoping to make a further run than last year.
The boys and girls track teams recently competed in their SWC tournaments. The girls finished 2nd, while the boys placed 4th, with help from seniors Kevin Stankiewicz and Tim Lautenbach. Leading the girls were seniors Kathleen Murphy and Eliza Kleban. Having already taken home the best in the Patriot Division, the two teams look to CIAC play this upcoming week to pick out the weak from the strong.
In girls’ lacrosse, the Lady Trojans prepare for their CIAC run, after losing 8-7 to the Joel Barlow Falcons in the SWC quarterfinals last week. Hoping to make it to the championship like last year, the girls are led by standout senior Grace Toner and they’re freshman studs.
On the green, both the boys and girls golf teams look to make their mark on the upcoming SWC tournaments this week. Facing tough competition shouldn’t be an issue for the Trojans, led by Seniors Tyler and Halley Melito, as well as juniors Wes Patel and Matt Lagana. In all, the teams look to bring home some hardware.
On the diamond, the baseball boys are headed to the CIAC tourney, in the 32 seed, after beating Bunnell at home 4-2. Weston will face off against the number one seeded Windsor Warriors. Led by senior captains Dan Covino and Jake Cavicchia, Fedeli’s boys hope to hang a banner in the new gym these upcoming weeks.
That is all for now, we’ll check-up soon enough to see just exactly how our student athletes did these past days.

Andrew Harwood, Sports Section Editor

Andrew Harwood is a Senior at Weston High School and currently serves as the section editor for the sports section of the Warhorse.