Weston Warhorse

Upcoming Weston Against Cancer Event to Raise Money for Cancer Research

Chloe Leeds, Staff Writer

The first annual “Weston Against Cancer” event will take place this Saturday, June 9th! The event will be held from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM at Lachat Town Farm. The money raised will go to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and a small portion will be donated to Lachat Town Farm.
In the past, Weston has had a Relay for Life event every May which raised money for the American Cancer Society. Unfortunately, the ACS had to cut back on some events, including ours. Last year’s event leads wanted to continue to do something to help in the fight against cancer; thus, the Weston Against Cancer Committee was created. From there, the event leads, along with thirty-three other high school students, many of which participated in Relay for Life in past years, started working to create this event to continue raising money in the important fight against cancer.
“It’s really exciting that we get to plan something totally new for the community and fundraise for such an important cause. I think that Weston Against Cancer will be a staple of the town in the future.” says one of our event leads, Matthew Sydney ‘18.
Weston Against Cancer was created for the same purpose as Relay for Life, but the event will be organized differently. The event is fun for all ages and provides educational activities to help learn about healthy living in ways that can help prevent cancer.
“I think it’s great how there are so many different activities for the kids as well as music and entertainment for the parents,” says Noelle Mendelson ‘20. “All the activites keep the kids active. I also love the added educational benefit of the games kids can play in order to win healthy food.”
There will be activities, raffles, music, food trucks, healthy living lessons from professionals, and a nighttime outdoor movie.
To learn more, donate, or get involved, please visit https://westonagainstcance.wixsite.com/mysite. Like our Facebook page “Weston Against Cancer” to receive updates about the event.