Weston Warhorse

Prom 2018 Tops off School Year

Photo Courtesy of Mrs. Gina Arena

Photo Courtesy of Mrs. Gina Arena

Ashley Aron, Editor-in-Chief

Weston High School’s annual prom was a spectacular near-end celebration for juniors and seniors. The Prom was held on Friday, May 18th in the Trumbull Marriott. The hotel started letting students in at 6:00 pm but they had to arrive before 7:00 pm. Students were breathalyzed upon entrance and forbidden from bringing alcohol or drugs to the event. The end of the dance was planned for 11:00 pm, although students were allowed out of the dance at 10:30, mostly clearing the dance floor and causing an early end to the dance. Didn’t make it to Prom this year? Students speak as to what they thought of it.

Students and teachers meet in the hall before the dance floor opened at 7:00 pm. Photo Courtesy of Ashley Aron ‘18

Most people went in groups with friends, whether they had a date or not. Lauren Rivera ‘18 went with a date but she and her friends also “stuck together pretty much during Prom” and their after-party. Lyndsay Baker ‘18, Claire DiMarco ‘18, and Sydney Resnick ‘18 also went with dates and a large group of friends.
Catrin Zharyy ‘19 says she went to Prom “with a big group of friends and I don’t regret that decision one bit.”
Most students spent their time at Prom dancing, socializing, and taking pictures. Students elaborated on their dancing experience at Prom.
DiMarco felt “extremely comfortable” dancing. “It was so much fun!” she says.
“I’m a confident person and had no problems showing my moves off in front of everyone!” says Rivera.
Similarly, Baker says she “felt completely comfortable dancing. Near the end, it was really only my friends and I dancing because we really didn’t care what anyone thought of us. We were just there for a good time.”
Zharyy says having fun at Prom was necessary after the exhausting ordeal that preceded it. “After paying for a ticket, an outfit, and transportation, it was important to make the preparation and a tough school year all worth it at this prom,” she says.
The Marriott hotel provided appetizers, along with a full dinner and dessert bar for the Prom. The food received mostly positive feedback.
“I really liked the food. I thought the options of salad, chicken and fries, as well as steak really provided enough options for everyone,” says Baker. Rivera agrees: “I thought it was a good variety.”

Students gather on the dance floor as the party starts. Photo Courtesy of Ashley Aron ‘18

The music, which included classic songs like “Take on Me” and modern songs by Drake and Cardi B was also generally well regarded.
“I think the music choices were appropriate and reflected both music that is popular now and that have been classics we’ve grown up to,” says Zharyy.
“I thought the music was fun and hype! My friends requested a song and [the DJ] actually ended up playing it. I was dancing the entire time basically,” says Rivera.
“I believe the music selection did the job of getting everyone up and moving,” says Frederiksen. “I thought the DJ did a good job of implementing song requests.”
“The music choices were sometimes really good but other times the DJ would play really random songs that no one knew and the dance floor would empty-out which kind of sucked,” says Baker.
There were a few minor sound glitches that caused the music to stop completely to the displeasure of students, but the errors were soon resolved.
“I thought it was annoying that the music dropped out not one but multiple times. The DJ eventually seemed to resolve the issue towards the end,” says Frederiksen.
However, many students, like Zharyy, Rivera, DiMarco, Resnick, and Grodman say they did not notice any technical problems with the DJ.
Pertaining to the location of Prom being at the Trumbull Marriott and not in our school, students were in agreement that the hotel served as a good setting for the dance.
“I think hotels are a good location for proms—it’s a fancier environment than a school gym, for example, and I thought Trumbull was a reasonable distance from Weston,” says Grodman.
“The venue was nice this year! I like how Weston has Prom at hotels! It makes it more elegant and exciting to go to!” says DiMarco.

“I think having the proms in hotels allows for there to be enough space for everyone to hang out or sit or dance without being on top of everyone else,” says Baker.
Although she liked the Trumbull Marriott as the Prom location, Resnick says she thinks ”it would be interesting to explore other places more local like Country Clubs or closer hotels.”
Students also enjoyed some unexpected features at Prom, like the decorations and photo booth.
DiMarco says that either the photo booth and an area with silver balloons that said “Prom 2018” “was a perfect place for fun pictures!” Zharyy says she also “loved the photo booth! I hope there’s always one in upcoming years.”
Overall, Baker says that “Prom was fun; I was involved in the planning so I kinda already knew how the night was going to go down but I think it went over well.”
“Even though I have nothing to compare it to, I think Prom went really well,” says Zharyy. “The food was good and I think everyone was having a great time.” She further elaborates that “after a busy year, it was really nice to just have fun with friends on the dance floor.”
“I thought Prom was a lot of fun and a great way to end the school year,” says Frederiksen.
When compared to last year’s prom, DiMarco says that “Prom this year was so much fun! I felt more comfortable dancing and having a good time!” However, she says that “the food and the photo booth were better last year.” She further elaborates that she “would have changed the catering” at the Prom.
Seniors who had been to Prom before thought it was still fun to go a second time, and overwhelmingly believed they wouldn’t have changed anything about their Prom experience if they could do it all over again.

Ashley Aron, Editor-in-Chief

Ashley Aron is a Senior. She currently serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Warhorse.