Weston Warhorse

The Madness of March

Andrew Harwood, Section Editor

There’s no better feeling than the last second buzzer beater that sends the Cinderella story team to the Final Four. This is March Madness, or in other words, the NCAA Men’s Basketball Division 1 Tournament. It is here where 64 teams compete for the shot at a national title, knowing that anything could happen,
This year has been no different than the others, except it may be one of the best. We witnessed number 16 seed University of Maryland-Baltimore County take down number one seed Virginia in a stunning showcase of young talent. Next, we watched how championship hopefuls Arizona was defeated by 13 seeded Buffalo. As the days went by and the clock ticked down, nobody’s bracket was safe. According to ESPN, zero brackets remain perfect as of right now. Absolutely no one chose the UMBC Retrievers to dominate the Virginia Cavaliers, or that an unexpected 11 seeded Loyola Chicago would emerge into the Final Four, the first time in 55 years.
Loyola ties the record for the lowest seed to ever reach the Final Four. LSU in 1986, George Mason in 2006 and VCU in 2011 were the other No. 11 seeds to make the Final Four. None of these teams were able to make it to the title game, but can Loyola? With a well-balanced defense and a versatile offense no one should think of counting the Ramblers out. After going 32-5 in the regular season, the Ramblers were able to go past Miami, Tennessee, Nevada, and Kansas State. With help from their 98 year-old team chaplain Sister Jean, the Ramblers look to bring the title back to Chicago, and hopefully live their dream of triumph.
Heading into Final four week in San Antonio, we saw No. 1 Villanova, No. 11 Loyola, No. 3 Michigan, and No. —- update this ending…..

Andrew Harwood, Sports Section Editor

Andrew Harwood is a Senior at Weston High School and currently serves as the section editor for the sports section of the Warhorse.