Weston Warhorse

Behind the Scenes

Elizabeth Enright, Section Editor

It takes a lot of work to pull off a high school production. Just ask Hannah Dove, a member of Weston High’s tech crew who helped pull off the recent production of South Pacific.
Dove was mostly involved with moving props. She also added that it was necessary to do a lot of work for South Pacific specifically because there were a lot of set changes.
“I joined the production late because there weren’t a lot of people working in tech, so they needed all the help they could get,” Dove said.
When she first joined, the new teacher John Fitz, helped organize set changes. He created a spreadsheet to delegate responsibility of moving props.
“Each person had their own prop assigned to them and had to make sure that one prop was moved around properly,” Dove said. “It changed a lot though, because it always ended up being a mess with a ton of people moving. We had to make the transitions smoother.’
She added that a lot of difficulty arose from matching the transitions to the music, and accounting for the weight of objects. For example, it takes more time to move a heavy prop than a lighter one, like wooden ammo boxes to a wicker basket.
The volatile nature of the job captivated Hannah, even though it was much more individualistic than what she was used to.
“In previous years, I was in the actual show and this was my first year doing
tech. I find that it’s a lot more relaxed than being in the cast because you’re more
behind-the-scenes, so you have to be more responsible and independent.”
She stated that despite the responsibility, it was still fun to work in tech, and especially the people working with her.
An important aspect of tech, she concluded, was that there is no recognition. No one notices tech unless there’s something wrong, like a prop being missing. It’s a very underrated job, she said.
Dove expressed an interest in continuing tech for the next few shows. It’s a definite that she’s doing tech for the upcoming Dialogue production in May.
“Doing it is really fun and I loved doing it. I never expected I would like it this much, because joining was sort of a spur of the moment decision. But it’s not a decision I regret.”

Elizabeth Enright, Feature Section Editor

Elizabeth Enright is a Senior at Weston High School and currently serves a Section Editor of the Opinion & Commentary Section of the Warhorse.