Weston Warhorse

Seniors Prepare to Leave for Internships

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Ashley Aron, Editor-in-Chief

One of the most awaited times of the year for seniors is the time they get to leave for internships right after taking AP exams. Instead of attending classes, students get the opportunity to spend 5 hours per day learning skills from the field they are interning in. In order to go on the internship opportunity, students are required to have a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0 at the end of first semester senior year, not be in danger of failing any classes, a satisfactory attendance and disciplinary record, and all the necessary approvals for their internships. Most Weston High School students choose the self-design route, but some students decide to select choices out of a list of internship options chosen by the school.
Seniors choosing to self-design their internships must acquire the approval of the school and the company they are interning with. Many self-designing students are genuinely interested in the fields they are going to be learning about.
Adam Frederiksen ‘18 says that he is “interning with the United Nations Association – an organization dedicated to promoting the goals of the United Nations.” Frederiksen says he chose his internship because of his “interests in the international community.” He has been a member of Weston High School’s Model United Nations club since freshman year and is the Secretary General of the organization this year.
Haley Lubliner ‘18 says that she will be going to the LEO Zoological Conservation Center. “Someone who worked at the vet’s office where my family takes our dogs mentioned it in passing, and after looking it up, I thought it would be a great place for my internship as I will be majoring in zoology (in college).”
Brianna Dias ‘18 wants to “go to a dental practice and to observe and see what it is like to work in the dental field.” Dias says she is “interested in going into the dental field and I wanted to get exposure to see whether I would like it or not.”
However, seniors also have found options already provided by the school that they are interested in.
Sara Eiler ‘18 says that she has narrowed her options to the Museum of Natural History, Silvermine, and the Georgetown Vet. She says she is “looking for a fun new experience that reflects my interests.”
Francesca Moniz ‘18, who is not self-designing, says she “would like to do the Greenwich film festival internship.” Moniz says she is “interested in media and entertainment as a possible career.”
Seniors widely share positive feelings toward a new experience awaiting them at the end of the school year.
Frederiksen says he is looking forward to “learning about the United Nation’s sustainable goals and how they are being implemented into companies and governments on the local, state, and national levels. I’m happy our school has this opportunity for our senior class.”
Eiler says she also is “really looking forward to internship! No matter where I end up going, it’ll be an interesting way to gain work experience and try new things.”
Lubliner says she is “super excited, I’ll be getting real world experience for the future while doing something I really enjoy.”
Moniz doesn’t know what to expect, but hopes to “gain some valuable insight into the working world. Meeting some new people through the internship would be a nice bonus.”
Dias says she thinks the internship program “allows us to be independent and get exposure to different careers that we are interested in.”

Ashley Aron, Editor-in-Chief

Ashley Aron is a Senior. She currently serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Warhorse.