Weston Warhorse

Rough Start Fuels Weston

Guard Katie Orefice
Courtesy of The Weston Forum

Guard Katie Orefice Courtesy of The Weston Forum

Tyler Melito, Staff Writer

The Weston High School Girls Basketball Team entered Tuesday night’s game (January 2), with a perfect 5-0. Their opponent, the always tough Masuk Panthers, held a 5-3 record going into the game. This was the first matchup between the two teams this season.
Last season, Weston won both meetings, the first 26-24 and the second 42-38. With the majority of the team from a year ago returning, the Trojans looked to grab another win and continue their hot start to the season.
The Trojans got off to an extremely sloppy start, carelessly turning the ball over in the first quarter and missing multiple shots. But after Katie Orifice ‘19 started the scoring for Weston, the Trojans started to gain their momentum. After some early fouls by the Panthers, the Trojans were able to stay in the game, and the only trail by one after the first quarter.
The second quarter was the Katie Orifice Show for the Trojans. Orifice scored 10 of the Trojans 21 points in the quarter. With the increase in scoring by the Trojans, the defense started to pick up as well, with the team forcing a multitude of turnovers and contesting shots, which ultimately led to only 11 points being scored by the Panthers.
One of two senior captains, Grace Toner ‘18 also had a huge quarter, scoring 5 of her 16 points for the game, and grabbing 3 of her 7 rebounds. Following the second quarter, the Trojans led 27-16, with momentum on their side, as Panther captains Gabby Beckett ‘18 and Brianna Craig ‘19 had 3 and 2 fouls respectively.
Heading into the final quarter of play, the Trojans held a 41-27 lead, showed no signs of letting up, and for the first 4 minutes of the quarter, the Trojans continued to force turnovers and expanded upon their lead, Toner and Jennifer Welsh ‘19 combined for 10 if the Trojans 12 points in the quarter.
The other senior captain, Georgia Burkard ‘18 and Kate Joyce ‘20 grabbed multiple key rebounds to further protect the Trojans lead and deny the Panthers from having more chances to score. In the end, the Trojans defeated the Panthers 53-37. The Trojans moved to 6-0 on the season, while the Panthers fell to 5-4.