Weston Warhorse

Is Winter the Best Season for Sports?

Andrew Harwood, Section Editor

It’s the age old question, “which season is the best sports season?” Is it the heat of summer? Is it the breeze of spring? Or is it the chill of winter? Here at the Weston Warhorse, we see only one answer: WINTER.

1. Winter Includes Three of the Core Sports
You can catch a basketball, hockey, and football game in winter. You can catch either collegiate or professional teams play these sports while you sit on your couches in the late evening or pre-evening. On top of these core sports, viewers can also catch clips of sports like skiing or soccer. Whether you want to catch Sidney Crosby snipe a slap shot, Kyrie Irving cross-up a defender, or the Philadelphia Eagles absolutely tear up the competition, winter offers the ultimate well-rounded schedule and action for the average viewer.

2. Winter Holds Some Major Sporting Events
In the depth of the season, teams from different sports compete in some namesake events and playoff berths. In the NCAA (college football), the top four teams compete for the national title, while the other ranked or unranked teams compete in multiple other bowl games. These bowl games range from the Rose Bowl to the Peach Bowl. In professional football (NFL), the top teams compete in the AFC and NFC playoffs, all trying to earn their way to the Super Bowl title game. On the ice, hockey players compete outdoors in the annual Winter Classic, an action packed game in the chill of winter. Whether you catch all of these games on cable, or read them online, there is no doubt that winter brings the competition to our beloved sports.

3. There is No Delay/Cancellation of Games
It’s annoying, how games can be cancelled or delayed for weather related reasons. All of this time you had spent to get to the stadium and all of the money you put down for tickets could be wasted. Well, during the winter season, one rarely sees a delay or cancellation for their preferred sport. On the gridiron, football players have played through blizzards and downpours. (Meanwhile, on the baseball diamond, players must stop the game for rain.) Basketball and hockey play indoors. This means that no matter what, they will play their game. No delays, no cancellations, just good-quality fun and action.
So, whether it is the abundance of various sports on cable, the lack of delays or cancellations, or the hosting of the Super Bowl or Winter Classic, winter definitely brings “it” when it comes to the best season for sports.