Weston Warhorse

The Fight to Write

Graham Young, Staff Writer

When you walk into your English classroom on the day of an essay, what do you fear most? Is it the potential of getting a bad grade, the difficulty of writing, or just the boredom often associated with writing? No matter how hard a teacher tries, there will always be students who are reluctant to write. They see it as a chore, a tedious action that brings more harm than good. Even many students who like to write can’t find the time to improve. This may be due to increasing homework loads, clubs, sports, and prior commitments. However, it doesn’t have to be this way.

I have been writing creatively, often on my own time, since 4th grade. Whether I felt like writing a poem, a short story, or even a letter, writing has been an integral part of my life. Most importantly, it isn’t a chore. Unfortunately, many people simply don’t enjoy writing, often due to the time-consuming nature of it. This is precisely why we have the Writing Center. Mrs. Gleason and Mrs. Davies endeavor to improve your writing, but there’s a problem: some students, who need writing help, don’t take advantage of the expert assistance and knowledge offered at the Writing Center. Although many students do visit, not everyone comes in for help. This has to change. There is always the chance of a bad essay grade, but the Writing Center’s assistance will minimize that possibility by improving your communication skills. So, why hold back from visiting the Writing Center? Another reason to visit is also in the way of assistance. Many students know their writing strengths, because that’s the only thing on which they receive feedback. With the Writing Center, you will receive feedback on writing strengths, drafts of writing, and which areas you need to improve upon. I personally have always struggled with finding the best text evidence, a task many students– including me–strongly dislike. However, the Writing Center will suppress these feelings and help you work through the text.

There are ways to improve your writing before visiting the Center. One way is to compose practice essay paragraphs on your own time. This is especially effective before an essay, because then you have experience with evidence, word choice, and organization fresh in your mind. That way, you won’t have to spend as much time on those aspects of writing on the big day. Instead, you’ll be focusing on the writing itself, not how you’re doing it. Then, once you are writing your essay draft, you can schedule an appointment with the Writing Center for feedback.

When you leave Weston High School and go to college, writing will be more important than ever. This is why it’s best to improve writing skills while you have professional writers available to you. When you’re writing reports, college essays, or projects, the Internet’s resources will not suffice for writing assistance. It has information, not direct assistance. Again, this is the purpose of the Writing Center- to resolve the numerous questions that the Internet cannot answer. The Internet’s information is not specific to you, but the Writing Center’s feedback is. So, why not give it a shot?

There are those who would agree with me. One of the Writing Center teachers, Mrs. Gleason, is among them. On how students could improve their writing at home, she said, “I think it would be great for students to read as much as possible and then write as much as possible.” She also stressed the importance of time management, a skill used across almost every subject. “It is really important to also give yourself time to work through the writing process – to work on something, leave time to get feedback, and then try to really revise your writing,” she said. Mrs. Davies, another Writing Center teacher, has invaluable advice. When interviewed on the topic of stress caused by writing, she said, “good writers take their time to draft and revise their ideas.” She also elaborated on this, stating, “writing is less stressful (and therefore more fun) when it is completed over time.” This is why we have the Writing Center: to help students plan out their essays to reduce stress and enhance writing skills. However, the Writing Center is only as helpful as you allow it to be; visiting it for writing and essay planning assistance will only help you as a writer.

There are a multitude of benefits to going to the Writing Center, and their assistance can only improve your writing in the areas where you need help most. They have professional writers who strive to help you, and provide useful feedback so that you can develop your skills further. They will likely turn a hatred for writing into a love for it. So, what are you waiting for? Don’t fight, just write!