Weston Warhorse

What’s Wrong With the New York Giants?

Andrew Harwood, Section Editor

It’s week six of the NFL season, and only three teams remain winless. Most notably is the hometown favorite, the New York Giants. Sitting at a record of 0-5, the Giants are struggling to find their rhythm. Plagued by injuries, a struggling defense, a better offensive line, and no running backs, Giants fans shake their heads after weekly losses.

It’s week six of the NFL season, and only three teams remain winless. Most notably is the hometown favorite, the New York Giants. Sitting at a record of 0-5, the Giants are struggling to find their rhythm. Plagued by injuries, a struggling defense, a better offensive line, and no running backs, Giants fans shake their heads after weekly losses.  To start off, Giants quarterback and former No.1 pick, Eli Manning’s performance is on a steady decline over the past years. Going from a rating of 90.9 in 2011 to a drastic 50.3 in 2016, the younger brother to Peyton has surely seemed to have lost his touch. Complete with poor play decisions, and non-accurate throws, the younger Manning seems to be the major culprit behind the losses. But, how can a quarterback perform without his star receiver, Odell Beckham Jr. ? Beckham, going into the season with a mediocre ankle injury, missed the first week of season. Coming back in the second week, he only recorded 36 receiving yards. Beckham soon bounced back, racking in three touchdowns and an additional 270 receiving yards. But during the Giants’ week 5 matchup versus the Los Angeles Charger, Beckham suffered a fractured left ankle, sidelined him for the remainder of the season.

Lack of unreliable receivers isn’t the main factor though. The Giants have seen heavy losses due to their battered and weak offensive line. The Giant offensive allowed 8 sacks in their first two games of the season, leading up to several more in the past games.  With unreliable tackles, and a short pocket, the Giants can’t see, to figure out the successful antidote to their problem. Not all the heat should be thrown at  the o-line though. Manning is as guilty as his left or right tackles. Manning is known to eat a sack when he doesn’t see a play, instead of just trying to create one. An offensive tactic it may be, put a costly one in the long run.

On the bright side, fans and the public have noticed the incline in the Giants’ performance the past weeks, going from losing games by 16 points, to losing on a last-second field goal. With a tough matchup this week 6 versus the Denver Broncos, the Giants look to make their hopeful push in their division. With injuries, miscommunication, and unreliability aside, New York’s team pushes forwards with the optimistic win in the coming weeks of the season.

Andrew Harwood, Sports Section Editor

Andrew Harwood is a Senior at Weston High School and currently serves as the section editor for the sports section of the Warhorse.