Weston Warhorse

Why Books Stay on Their Shelves in WHS’s Library

Grace Morgado, Staff Writer

The discussion about how reading is becoming more obsolete in modern day goes hand in hand with the familiar argument about how technology has influenced today’s youth. A poll of the Weston High School student body revealed that only 32% of students claim to read for pleasure, a statistic corresponding to the increased usage of technology.

The discussion about how reading is becoming more obsolete in modern day goes hand in hand with the familiar argument about how technology has influenced today’s youth. A poll of the Weston High School student body revealed that only 32% of students claim to read for pleasure, a statistic corresponding to the increased usage of technology. Sophomore Charles Gallardo defends this lacking population of readers and says, “libraries and books limit you to specific collections; there is definitely more variety online.” Multiple students also attribute the disinterest in books to more individualized forms of entertainment easily accessed online – like social media – and agree that the obsolescence of books is not a negative representation of technology nor today’s youth. Instead, those who favor technology argue that this change demonstrates a more diverse population of students that can explore nontraditional interest. Conversely, some students and faculty hope to inspire more readers in Weston High School.

Mrs. Storm Snaith, the friendly librarian, has continued to uplift the spirits of avid readers since the beginning of her career at WHS. Old news to frequent library visitors, Mrs. Snaith has joyously been handing out candy to those who check out books. Her efforts have been successful, Mrs. Snaith believes, but not in producing new readers. “Those who read will read for pleasure,” she explains. “It’s not the candy that’s making them take out books.”

Emily Papay, a senior who can frequently be found reading, agrees and responds simply, “I read because I want to learn.” Thus, Papay and other readers indicate that books can be particular to the reader and that those who say otherwise may just be making excuses to avoid literature and continue being dependent on technology that offers more immediate and effortless entertainment.

Likewise, Mrs. Snaith believes that a successful read is “all about making that connection between the reader and text,” something non-readers may fail to do when they pick up a book.

The general consensus, it seems, is that Weston High School is indeed a diverse group of students who partake in different activities. Students cannot be expected to enjoy the same recreations, but they are encouraged to understand how and why these differences are present. Thus, Mrs. Snaith’s reaction to WHS readers has received a cheerful and encouraging response, and the 68% of students who favor technology are able to do so freely.