The student news of Weston High School

Harmonies Beat Hurricanes, Seniors Beat Juniors, Staff Beats Addiction

November 8, 2017

This year’s eventful spirit week started on Monday, October 2 and ended Friday, October 7. Popular sports events took place throughout the week such as dodgeball, boy’s and girl’s soccer, the Harmonies for Hurricanes concert, and the Homecoming football game. The dress-up themes were USA, pink out for Pink Aid, white out for hurricane relief, theme day, and blue and gold day.

“It was student government’s job to organize most of the day and night events, promote school spirit, and run the Powderpuff game,” according to student government president James Joyce ‘18.

This year, Joyce said that “all the grades were very spirited,” but that “the seniors really came out and showed their Weston pride.”

Joyce says that there was a possibility that deck the doors wasn’t going to happen this year. He said administration was “unsure about how ‘into it’ all the students would be this year, but we told them that most students really enjoy coming up with a door with their advisory.”

This year student government spent about $150 for each grade’s door supplies, and each deck the door winner got a free snack at the cafeteria for showing their school spirit.

The winning advisories for each grade were: FRESHMEN: 1st place was Mrs. Michelle Pioli and 2nd place was Mr. Michael Maffucci. SOPHOMORES: 1st place was Mr. Dennis Richitelli, 2nd place was Ms. Erin Wilson. JUNIORS: 1st place was Mrs. Diana Michelangelo, 2nd place was Mrs. Nancy LaMarco. SENIORS: 1st place was Ms. Anna Balouskus and 2nd place was Ms. Gina Arena.

The highlight of spirit week, Harmonies for Hurricanes, was a “huge success” according to Joyce and “terrific” according to Principal Lisa Deorio. The world language honor societies, Tri-M Music Honor Society, the National Art Honor Society, Young Progressives, and National Honor Society helped to run a large combined bake sale and to sell tickets and T-shirts, and COMPANY did the lighting and sound. The concert featured musical performances by Stephen Blinder’s Steel Band, Weston High School’s rock and jazz band Orbit, the Revolutionaries acapella group, the Jive Five jazz band, MoMo’s acapella group, the Fiddle rock group, and a performance by Chinese students from our sister school in China. About $5,000 was raised from the fundraiser.

“I thought having the Chinese delegation made it extra special,” says Ms. Deorio.

The traditional and most spirited part of the week was Friday: Powderpuff and Homecoming game day. Juniors and seniors competed in WHS’s traditional game of flag football.

“This is the second year we have banned whistles at powder puff due to the noise in the building and the confusion on the field,” says Ms. Deorio. However, students still brought their school pride and spirit. Weston’s first group of male cheerleaders also cheered on the seniors and revved up the crowd.

The seniors ended up winning 18-0 and the Homecoming King and Queen, chosen by student government, were Mr. Dan Frank and Mrs. Amy Holmes.

The events did not end on Friday, however. The Shatterproof Organization held a rappelling fundraiser event in Stamford, CT where seven teachers, Mr. Geoffrey Brencher, Officer Joe Mogollan, Coach Dan Hassett, Ms. Anna Balouskus, Mr. Kevin Joyce, Ms. Storm Snaith, and Principal Lisa Deorio rappelled down Beacon Harbor Point in Stamford to raise money to fight and prevent drug addiction. Over 45 student volunteers participated and over $7,000 was raised.

Ms. Deorio says that the big difference in spirit week this year is that “there were two fundraisers that supported very different causes: the concert and the Shatterproof event.”

“Overall, participation was very good this year among all the grades–a majority of students were very spirited and really came out to support the school,” says Joyce.
Deorio says the tradition of Homecoming will definitely be continued in the future.