The student news of Weston High School

Weston Warhorse

Weston High School Fall Sports Preview

Weston’s home opener versus Bethel last Friday, September 8th.
Photo Courtesy of Willow Reid ‘19

Weston’s home opener versus Bethel last Friday, September 8th. Photo Courtesy of Willow Reid ‘19

Andrew Harwood, Section Editor

It’s that time of the year again. The time of screaming fans, last-minute scores and team spirit. Fall sports are in full swing now at Weston High School and the year looks promising.

The Trojans kicked off the fall season with their home matchup vs. Bethel on Friday, September 8 taking home the win with a 33-17 performance. James Goetz ‘20 and Patrick Stack ‘18 stood out that night, showing off their arm and leg skills with Goetz racking up two rushing touchdowns and Stack earning a receiving and rushing touchdown. When asked about their performance, Jason Baisley ‘18 said, “we struggled on run support, but after a few corrections, we shut them down.” Though starting off the season at 1-0 the Trojans ended up losing to Sheehan 28-27 in overtime last week. Now with a record of 1-1, the trojans head over to Stratford on the 22nd to get over the .500 mark.

Following in the footsteps of triumph, the boys soccer team started its season off with a 2-0 win against the New Fairfield Rebels. Ryan Werner ‘19 and Jack Weiss ‘18 netted the two goals for the Trojans that night, propelling their team into another win over Bunnell days later. Now sitting at a record of 2-1 the boys get ready for an upcoming matchup versus Brookfield.

In similar news, the girl’ soccer team seems to be quite the buzz around town these days. The girls, seeded at number two in the state, opened up their season with a big 4-0 win over New Fairfield with goals from Nicki Dalrymple ‘19 (2), Katie Orefice ‘19, and Becca Strouch ‘21. The team has now earned a 3-1-1 record so far this season and are on their way to that number one seed.

Trojans volleyball is also hoping to make a stir this year, striving to make a run at a SWC title. Lead by seniors/captains Sammy Phillips, Lyndsey Baker, and Caroline Wertlieb the Trojans started off with a rough start losing three games, but officially found their place with a shutout win against New Milford on the 15th. When asked about the team, senior Sophie Hall said, “We’re really starting to play together. It’s all about our chemistry, that’s it.”  The Trojans will face Kolbe Cathedral at Kolbe on the 18th in hopes of securing a win.

Finally, the girls’ field hockey team has been hard at work over the past week or so, trying to get in a “w.” With an 0-2 record going into the third week of the season, the girls are relying on each other to help etch out a needed win.

In all, the fall season should a SportsCenter highlight reel. Whether it’s on the soccer field, volleyball courts, or the gridiron, the athletes can always make sure to see the loyal fans in the crowd screaming “go Trojans!”