The student news of Weston High School

Weston Warhorse

Weston’s Young Progressives Raise Funds for Hurricane Harvey and Irma Victims

Hannah Dove, Section Editor

The Young Progressives Club of Weston High School held a bake sale on September 13 and 14, in support of those who were affected by Hurricane Harvey and Irma; students and faculty donated a sum of $224.40 to the United Way Relief Fund––yet again championing the importance of kindness and consideration in the school and national community.
Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas August 25, 2017 and has since had a catastrophic impact: the Category 4 hurricane left as many as fifty counties flooded, thirty thousand people in shelters, and nearly thirteen million residents of Texas and Louisiana displaced.
Only five days later, meteorologists detected another developing storm–Hurricane Irma. Initially a Category 5 storm, Irma made landfall shortly after Harvey in the Caribbean and southeastern United States. In its wake, nearly 8 million people throughout Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Alabama were left without power. And the devastation left by both storms is only getting worse.
“It was a fairly ad hoc decision,” says Grace Milliman (2020) about the fundraiser. “Harvey and Irma happened so quickly and right around school starting, so at our first board meeting, we decided that a fundraiser to support the victims of those hurricanes would be the best choice for our first project.”
That’s exactly what they did. With less than a week of planning, the Young Progressives Club managed to recruit volunteers to bake and sell goods to support their cause.
“As the Young Progressives Club, it felt wrong to sit back and watch the events unfold without taking any action. We did our best to ensure the bake sale panned out and was a success, given the short amount of time it was planned in,” Milliman explains. “In the end, we raised a lot of money that will go to helping lots of people.We’re really proud.”
Weston High School’s Young Progressives Club, founded by Owen Tanzer (‘19) and Doran Sekaran (‘19) in March of last year, has since made strides in contributing to the wellbeing of local schools and families; working in conjunction with the Weston Food Pantry to bring goods to the its shelves and tutoring children K-8 at the Cesar A. Batalla School in Bridgeport are among their biggest projects from last year.
“We have a lot planned for this year,” says Young Progressives Co-President Doran Sekaran. “Like last year, we’re going to continue working with the Cesar A. Batalla School and doing food pantry pick-ups. Something new, though, is that we will canvas for the 2018 elections.”
“I’m a new member of the Young Progressives Club this year,” added Gabe Toth (2019). “I joined because it seemed like the opportune platform to do things that matter in our community and make significant change where we can. It felt very good to give to the unfortunate victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma this past week. I can’t wait to do more.”
Young Progressives members, who ran the bake sale before school and during lunch, sold out of bake goods by the end of both days and raised a total of $224.30. All proceeds from the bake sale will go to the United Way Relief Fund.
“It feels good to help people,” added Toth. “And that’s exactly what we’re trying to do.”