The student news of Weston High School

Weston Warhorse

New Clubs Hit Weston High!

Ashley Aron, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

This year, Weston High School has once again expanded its selection to appeal to more students and groups, diversifying the amount of activities now offered. Students are always welcome to create new clubs that they believe will appeal to students, as long as they can find a faculty advisor and students who are interested in the club. These new clubs are dedicated to their appeal to student interest, each bringing a different element to our selection of clubs but with the common goal to promote a message and bring students together. They are bringing new athletic, economic, cultural, political, and humanitarian values to the table. Check out this introduction to WHS’s newest clubs!

Badminton Club

One of the new clubs this year is the Badminton club, run by Devon Panzirer ‘18 and Kel-
ley Coates ‘18. Panzirer says that she wants their club to be a “fun place where students can learn or practice badminton skills through tournaments.” Panzirer says that she played a lot of badminton over the summer with Coates in a tournament with their friends. She hopes that “students who have tried badminton and are ready for fun join our club!” As for how the club will be run, Panzirer says that they “will be playing badminton mostly with the occasional snack or two. Our club is going to be so fun but it’ll be a lot of activity.” She says that “it isn’t an excuse to hang out with your friends–it’s a place where we play badminton and we plan on taking that pretty seriously.” For the final details of meeting times, she says that she hasn’t “organized the exact time and place yet” but they “plan on meeting after school every couple of weeks. Our advisor is Madame Del Savio so if you take French be sure to ask her about our club!”

Dance Club

Another club this year is the Cardio Dance club, which will be run by Sara Eiler ‘18 and Ashley Aron ‘18. This club is an exciting new athletic addition dedicated to fun and exercise. Sara Eiler ‘18 says she was inspired to start the club because “Mrs. Hauser, our club advisor, taught a dance class for X period last year, and I thought it was really fun so I asked her if she wanted to start a club. Also, aside from the short unit in gym class, there’s a serious lack of dance at our school.” Eiler says that “Anyone can join, including staff members–no dance experience whatsoever required. It’s all about having fun and learning new things.” Eiler says that “every once in awhile we’ll meet to practice routines and teach each other new steps.” She says that “we will be dancing, and the club will hopefully serve as a fun way for Weston students and staff to improve physical wellness and to learn new skills. Dancing is also a great way to de-stress after a busy day!” She believes that people should join the club because “it puts them out of their comfort zone. I think that it’s fair to say that most of us would rather not dance with other people around due to a sense of self-consciousness, but it’s really a great way to build confidence, self-esteem, coordination, and strength. So even if someone is afraid to join, I think that they should at least give it a try.” As for meeting times, Eiler says that she is still “trying to determine an ideal time and day for our meetings, but it will be after school around the end of the school week– probably Thursday or Friday, and we will meet in the cardio room that is next to the weight room.”

Contrarian Investment Club

A new economic-based club being introduced is the Contrarian Investment club, run by Brandon Berger ‘19 and supervised by Ms. Marissa Pavlik. Berger says that his club will “give members the tools to learn how to analyze distressed companies and then be able to predict if the stock will rise or fall even more. It is a way of investing that many people may not know much about, yet it is very useful and effective for making large amounts of money.” Berger says that during the year, he “will be making a little competition where each member joins an investing simulator and is given $100,000 to invest in companies. The person with the most amount of money at the end of the simulator will earn a prize.” He believes that students should join his club “for the reason they would join any other club–to become more knowledgeable about that specific topic. If you want to learn more about investing then joining the contrarian investment club is the perfect place to learn. No matter what we do with our futures, it is important that we understand money and learn how to invest.” Berger was inspired when he joined an investment club his Freshman year. “I had noticed that each day I attended the club, more ideas popped into my mind to make the club more fun and enjoyable.” He says that if you were to tell him he would be creating a new club, he “would of told you that you were crazy.” Berger hopes that “people walk out of my club each time we meet and be more knowledgeable about investing” than they were before they attended the club. He plans on holding meetings once a week on Wednesdays.

Young Republicans of Weston

A new WHS club that is centralized on political values is the Young Republicans of Weston club, run by Thomas Valenti ‘18, Cyprian Toczek ‘18, and supervised by Mr. Steve Fasoli. Valenti says that he and Toczek are “looking to introduce a place for like-minded conservatives or modern republicans to meet, collaborate, and give them an opportunity to work with their local government to better our community.” Valenti says he started the club because he believes “there should be equal representation or acknowledgement of the Republican party in this part of the country. The best way to do that is through the youth!” He wants to “attract anyone who is interested, or wants to learn about modern conservative values. Basically, anyone who would like to represent the party, or learn about what it is.” According to Valenti, the club’s “main goal is to clarify what modern conservative politics are and work hand in hand with our town’s officials to extend our influence on our community as the young generation.” Valenti believes that people should join the club “because there are many misconceptions regarding the modern Republican party.” He also believes the club “can be a great place for people who aren’t so politically oriented to get involved or even start forming their own political compass, whatever direction that may be.” Valenti says that the club will most likely meet twice a month, usually toward the end of the school week.

Recycling Club

A new club that is a fun get together for a humanitarian effort is WHS’s new Recycling club, run by Quentin Catalano ‘17 and Nathaniel Metviner ‘17. Catalano says that he and Metviner “are going to collect all recyclables at Weston High and donate the money we collect from it to a charity,” which they will decide during their first meeting. Catalano says one of their inspirations for the recycling club was to “rejuvenate the club scene at Weston.” Catalano says that “all people” are encouraged to join the club to “come hangout with a fun group” of “guys and gals.” Catalano says that their main goal for the club is “winning” because, as quoted from UCLA Bruins football coach Red Sanders and NFL member Vince Lombardi, “winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.” Catalano says that the club will be meeting usually once every two weeks “and whatever times work best for everyone.” As of now, he is still unsure of who will be advising the club.

Japan Club

An interesting cultural addition to WHS is the new Japan club, run by sisters Elfine Dexter ‘17, Aniela Dexter ‘20, and supervised by Mrs. Arielle Luksberg. Elfine Dexter says that the club is “focused on Japanese culture, so we plan to cook or make Japanese food, and learn about the culture of Japan.” When asked why she started the club, Dexter said that she and her sister Aniela “have been learning Japanese for five years, and we have celebrated Japanese holidays and cooking. This was a really fun experience, so we wanted to share that with others who are interested.” She said that their meeting time is not “set in stone” and that they “plan to adjust based on when the club members are available. As of now, we are hoping to meet about once a month.” She says that advisor Mrs. Luksberg “is awesome, so it will be really fun!”