The student news of Weston High School

Weston Warhorse

Weston Students Win DMV Contest Award

Scarlett Machson, Warhorse Editor in Chief

Three Weston High School students have won first prize in the the eighth annual DMV -Travelers Teen Safe Driving Video Contest, a Connecticut videography contest in which high school students submit short videos promoting teen driving safety.

Weston videography students Julia Asphar, Eli Hason, and Cameron Okoro won the contest with their 24 second video, which shows brief shots of Weston High School students as a voiceover by Asphar explains that these are the faces of people put in danger by distracted driving.

“There is nothing more relatable than the faces of people you see every day,” Asphar, who is also the director of the video, said. “Because your typical PSA includes a fear factor and has a pretty somber mood, I thought that I should make it not only artistically appealing but upbeat and relatable.”

The video goes on to show a driver (played by Asphar) deciding to put away her distracting cell phone and focusing on the road. The video ends with the contest’s theme message: “When shifting into drive, keep the safety of others in mind.”

“I think the student body, everyone who drives or has friends who drive, need to understand that we are now part of the real world and we are not invincible,” Asphar said. “Driving distracted has consequences that shouldn’t be taken lightly and more importantly, the worst case scenario of losing one’s life can have a horrific impact on the people around you.”

There were 89 submissions to the contest this year, representing eighteen Connecticut high schools and about 300 student participants. There were five finalists, with the Weston High School submission ranked first. All submitted videos can be viewed on the Connecticut DMV YouTube page. The videos will all be used as part of many DMV outreach programs for teens across the state.

Weston High School was awarded $5,000 for winning the contest and was also awarded $1,000 for winning the multi-cultural award, for featuring a message of diversity. When asked what she would do with this $6,000 if she had it, Asphar responded, “I would put 100% of that money towards tuition for college next year.”

Same, Julia. Same.