The student news of Weston High School

Weston Warhorse

Weston’s Ski Team!

Cassie Kelly, Sports Section Editor

This winter’s bizarre weather has arguably been some of the best weather of the year. The unseasonable warmth has already broken over 6,000 daily records for the warmest December days ever recorded. While many students and faculty have been ecstatic over the lack of snow and

comfortable conditions, the Weston Ski Team has felt the impact of a snowless winter. Girls’ captain, Emma Cook, says that, “it’s been rough. We had a couple extra weeks of dry lands and working out because we couldn’t ski… [This season] has definitely been interesting but we’re trying to make the most of it.” Not only was the team’s Smuggs trip postponed but also, “all of our races had to be moved back into later in the season.” Without any hope for snow in early December and temperatures reaching as high as 64°F, the team had been unable to take any trips to the mountain to ski and instead had been running drills in the hallways and on the lower turf for the past few weeks.

So what does this setback mean for the team? According to Cook, Weston Ski hasn’t been able to train as much as they would have liked in order to prepare for the season which has “really affected the team.” However, even with less time on the slopes Weston shouldn’t be that far behind other teams in regards to training since the “lack of snow is an issue that all high school ski teams around us are trying to deal with” and all also having to work around. Luckily for the team the recent blizzard has given them five mountain practices to look forward to in the month of February. Currently the team is training for their upcoming races on February 4th and February 12th and for the State Open Championships on March 3rd at Mt. Southington.